Selling A Home
How long will my house sale take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you complete your sale will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 6-12 weeks.
Stages of the process
There are several stages to the Conveyancing process details of which are set out below.
The most important stage, however, is when contracts are exchanged once all searches and enquiries have been completed and the Solicitor is satisfied that you are obtaining good title to the property then contracts can be exchanged.
At this point the transaction becomes legally binding with an agreed completion date and if either party fails to complete as agreed they will be in breach of contract.
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Obtain your deeds from the bank/building society
- Draft and submit contract documents
- Complete Property Information forms
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Deal with Purchaser’s Solicitors enquiries
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Agree completion date
Exchange of contracts
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
Between Exchange and Completion
- Forward you financial statement showing balance due to/from you
- Send transfer deed for execution
- Obtain redemption statement, if there is an outstanding mortgage
- You should arrange to cancel your mortgage payments, if any
- Complete sale
- Remit funds following completion
- Pay estate agents
- Arrange discharge of the mortgage(2#s), if any.